Last Friday was the gala dinner announcing the 2013 winners of the South Australia Food Industry Awards. The finalists covered a wide spread of local food manufacturers and producers, sounding a bit like a foodie’s dream: kangaroo, icecream, crackers, carob, honey, nuts, artisan bread, chocolate and more. The courses served at the gala dinner would have been in that dream too! It makes me sad I’m in another state. I would love to try FruChocs, which sound like they’ve won hearts all over the place as well as sweeping several awards and even sneaking into hot cross buns, and I’d really like to know more about the Gelista Cube that won Gelista Premium Gelati the Innovation Award. Because, icecream and innovation. There are some fields that it’s *really important* to keep up to date with the cutting edge of, right?
Awards and winners:
- San Remo Hall of Fame – Robern Menz
- Bickford’s Australia Leader Award – Phil Sims, Chief Executive Officer, Robern Menz; Chair, South Australian Government’s Business Development Council, Executive member of Family Business Australia (SA Chapter), Board member, Food SA.
- Royal Agricultural & Horticultural Society Best Practice Award – Bickford’s Australia (Adelaide)
- Royal Agricultural & Horticultural Society Business Development Award – Gelista Premium Gelati (Adelaide)
- SARDI Innovation Award (<15 FTEs) – Gelista Premium Gelati (Adelaide)
- SARDI Innovation Award (>15 FTEs) – Lifestyle Bakery (Adelaide)
- Foodland SA New Product Award (<15 FTEs) – Kytons Bakery Australia (Adelaide)(Fruchocs hot cross bun)
- Foodland SA New Product Award (>15 FTEs) – Lifestyle Bakery (Adelaide) (Soft n Light gluten-free bread range)
- Peats Soil and Garden Supplies Sustainability Award (<15 FTEs) – Savannah Lamb (Yorke and Mid-North)
- Peats Soil and Garden Supplies Sustainability Award (>15 FTEs) – Wintulichs (Gawler)
- Food and Beverage Development Fund Workforce Development Award – AgriExchange (Riverland)
- DMITRE Export Award – Macro Meats Gourmet Game (Adelaide)
- Thomas Foods International Primary Producer Award (<15 FTEs) – Rohde’s Free Range Eggs (Clare Valley)
- Thomas Foods International Primary Producer Award (>15 FTEs) – SA Mushrooms
- Buy South Australia Consumer Award – Fruchocs
I don’t see the official winners list or any announcement up on the website yet, but it’s only Monday morning -grin-. When it’s up it will most likely be here (choose All Winners or 2013 Winners from the “History” dropdown list).